Fourth Avenue in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
Jenn apparently agreed to be photographed for public advertising several years ago, and The Opera Singer turns thirty-four.
Big Joseph and James make it out to the East Williamsburg loft.
• Persepolis (directed by Vincent Paronnaud and Marjane Satrapi) is a French film set in 1980’s Iran, and is based on a series of graphic novels of the same name. It’s animated, and largely black and white, and some of the richest, most organic animation I’ve seen (well, aside from Miyazaki masterpieces, and a few early 1960’s Disney films). As with Richard Linklater’s Waking Life (2001), it probably deserves two watches, largely because it replaces Waking Life’s over-the-top monologues on cultural theory with intense, lucid, political strife, and, unless you’re fluent in French, you may miss some of the subtleties within the delicate transitions while scanning the subtitles. It’s currently playing at BAM over in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. (also, I caught Loves of a Blonde, a 1960’s Czech film by Milos Foreman, with some coworkers. Definitely felt influenced by the French New Wave).
• On the subject of northern Brooklyn, I highly recommend dining at the Roebling Tea Room in Williamsburg (yes, they rock Cuba, that Andy Heymann used to rep in like 2004). While the food isn’t the cheapest (entrees mainly in the $16-22 dollar range, as opposed to $9-14), it’s well worth it. The baked brie appetizer arrives boiling, and with a tiny salad drizzled in honey, and the half chicken has a large side of mashed potatoes. Also, the “diver’s scallops” can go well with either a draught Kronenbourg or a house white.
• You may have already caught it, but Cadence Weapon performed “Sharks” with Final Fantasy providing an incredible version of the beat. I can’t stop listening to it. Hit up Hype Machine for the track, or drop me a line and I’ll send it over. A great fusion of danceable hip hop with indie rock.
• Peter Dinklage (Station Agent (2003)) was in front of me in line at lunch today at Big Dirty’s favorite, The Gracefully.
• Cheers to the intermediate days here and there where its warm enough to bike around without gloves and such. I’ll drink to that tonight. And to Brian and Rachel’s new engagement. And to my buddy Val’s recent promotion. Nice one, chief.